Our conference theme was inspired by Hobart’s geographic location.
It invites the broadest interpretation. As editors, we deal with many edges:
- Geographic edges: how is editing in Australia different from editing in larger population and publishing centres? How can we make use of our place at the edges of Asia and the Pacific?
- Demographic edges: how can editors work with and for people on the edges – marginalised authors/audiences? How can we make our profession more diverse?
- First Nations people
- People with disabilities
- People for whom English is their second or other language
- LGBTIA+ people
- People who are economically disadvantaged
- Where is the line between edgy and offensive?
- Technological edges: what is the role of the editor in social media?
- Ethical edges: how do we negotiate tricky ethical points?
Whatever the edges you deal with, we hope to have something for you to learn or to share.